World crude steel production for the 63 countries reporting to the World Steel Association (worldsteel) was 152.6 million tonnes (Mt) in August 2023, a 2.2% increase compared to August 2022.
Crude steel production by region
Africa produced 1.5 Mt in August 2023, up 16.1% on August 2022. Asia and Oceania produced 115.7 Mt, up 3.5%. The EU (27) produced 9.1 Mt, down 4.4%. Europe, Other produced 3.4 Mt, down 3.2%. The Middle East produced 2.8 Mt, down 16.0%. North America produced 9.2 Mt, down 2.6%. Russia & other CIS + Ukraine produced 7.5 Mt, up 10.7%. South America produced 3.4 Mt, down 8.1%.
|Table 1. Crude steel production by region|
|Aug 2023 (Mt)||% change Aug 23/22||Jan-Aug
|% change Jan-Aug 23/22|
|Asia and Oceania||115.7||3.5||944.8||2.0|
|Russia & other CIS + Ukraine||7.5||10.7||58.8||0.8|
|Total 63 countries||152.6||2.2||1,256.4||0.2|
The 63 countries included in this table accounted for approximately 97% of total world crude steel production in 2022. Regions and countries covered by the table:
- Africa: Egypt, Libya, South Africa, Tunisia
- Asia and Oceania: Australia, China, India, Japan, Mongolia, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea, Taiwan (China), Thailand, Viet Nam
- European Union (27)
- Europe, Other: Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Türkiye, United Kingdom
- Middle East: Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
- North America: Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, United States
- Russia & other CIS + Ukraine: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela
Top 10 steel-producing countries
China produced 86.4 Mt in August 2023, up 3.2% on August 2022. India produced 11.9 Mt, up 17.4%. Japan produced 7.1 Mt, down 2.9%. The United States produced 7.0 Mt, up 1.1%. Russia is estimated to have produced 6.4 Mt, up 8.9%. South Korea produced 5.6 Mt, down 5.9%. Germany produced 2.8 Mt, down 1.0%. Türkiye produced 2.8 Mt, down 2.9%. Brazil produced 2.7 Mt, down 5.9%. Iran produced 1.6 Mt, down 24.1%.
|Table 2. Top 10 steel-producing countries|
|Aug 2023 (Mt)||% change Aug 23/22||Jan-Aug 2023 (Mt)||% change Jan-Aug 23/22|
e – estimated. Ranking of top 10 producing countries is based on year-to-date aggregate
Notes to Editors:
- The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country. worldsteel represents steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. Members represent around 85% of global steel production.
- A subscription with access to the iron and crude steel production for the 63 countries reporting to worldsteel on a monthly basis is available for €1,285 via the worldsteel bookshop. This subscription includes access to 20 years of data in the Steel Statistical Yearbooks. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
- Information on capacity can be found on the OECD website.