The 2023 Arizona State Fair kicks off on Sept. 22 and there are plenty of new foods to try.
State Fair food is all about indulgence with a menagerie of fried foods, sweets and oversized creations you need both hands to hold. This year, vendors are bringing creative twists on the tried and true Fair food classics from funnel cakes to hot dogs. Expect a birria bonanza, pickle peek-a-boos, Hot Cheetos galore, smashburgers and desserts riffing off of TikTok-famous creations.
Stay tuned for highlights from the best and weirdest after we taste-test them on opening day.
For now, here’s a look at all the new foods at the 2023 Arizona State Fair.
A birria bonanza at Chub’s
Chub’s has, by far, the most new offerings this year.
Try all things birria, including quesabirria tacos to birria eggrolls at Chub’s. The food stand even offers a Birria Tosti-Elote which involves birria served with sweet corn, butter, mayo, cotija cheese and hot sauce inside a Tostitos bag.
Chub’s is also debuting two new loaded fry options: chicken fries topped with crispy chicken and drizzled with sweet chili sauce, and loaded birria fries smothered in nacho cheese and topped with birria, fresh onion and cilantro.
Try pickled tamale bites — tamales stuffed with pickles and cheese and served with nacho cheese. Or a new crispy-on-the-edges smashburger that comes topped with American cheese and grilled onions, or a crispy chicken salad with a side of buffalo sauce or ranch can be served in a bowl or a wrap.
More Hot Cheeto creations at The Corn Shack, Biggy’s and Enzo’s
The Corn Shack is offering an elote and Hot Cheetos ramen. The classic noodles come topped with mayo, parmesan, corn and Hot Cheetos.
Over at Biggy’s, you can order Hot Cheetos and cheese chicken on a stick, a concoction of fried chicken topped with nachos and sprinkled with Hot Cheetos. They’re also jumping on the pickle trend with a Pop Tart topped with a pickle.
Likewise, Enzo’s is offering a Hot Cheetos cheesy pickle pizza topped with a mix of pickles and Hot Cheetos spice.
An easier-to-eat bag of nachos from Big Dogs 2
Big Dogs 2 is serving Tostitos chips topped with nacho cheese and Jalapenos inside a Tostitos bag for maximum portability.
New desserts at the State Fair
In addition to food, guests can look forward to churros and funnel cakes with a twist.
- Upgraded churros and funnel cake: Churros come loaded with strawberries and cream or ice cream and Oreos and funnel cakes come topped with peaches and cream at Dutchman’s Funnel Cake. You can also try churros ice cream sundaes topped with a choice of Fruity Pebbles, Oreos, Captain Crunch, Cinnamon Toast and strawberries.
- Barbilicious Float: a soda float with cotton candy and candy twist is available at Candy Factory.
- Deep-fried Oreo ice cream sandwiches are available at Fried A Fair.
- Cereal Cannolis: cannolis peppered with childhood favorite cereals are available at Enzo’s.
- Fruit roll-up Dole Whip are available at Nitro Dole Whip Treats. Also try the Fruit Roll-Up frozen grapes on a stick dusted in tajin, drizzled with chamoy and wrapped in Fruit Roll-Ups.
- Double Trouble Cone: made with two ice cream cones, dipped in chocolate twice and caramel once and topped with caramel kettle corn, this is a dynamic dessert duo available at Swirl.
When is Arizona State Fair 2023
When: Sept. 22-Oct. 29 (Thursday through Sunday).
Where: 1826 W. McDowell Road, Phoenix.
Admission: $15 for ages 8 and above, free for kids 7 and younger.
Details: 602-252-6771, azstatefair.com.
Your guide:How much Arizona State Fair 2023 tickets, rides and parking cost
Reach the reporter at BAnooshahr@azcentral.com. Follow @banooshahr on X, formerly Twitter.