Skip to content

Our lawmakers are playing politics with people’s health



When the Affordable Care Act was passed, it included an option for states to expand Medicaid coverage to adults with incomes up to 133 percent of the federal poverty level, starting in January 2104. To date, 39 states have adopted the expansion, which calls for the federal government to pay 90 percent costs for registering new recipients, while the states are responsible for the other 10 percent.

North Carolina initially debated the expansion and decided not to participate for several reasons. The biggest one was that there was no guarantee that the 90 percent matchup would be permanent and that North Carolina would eventually have to recoup those costs. Also, legislators were concerned about the administration of Medicaid in North Carolina and wanted reforms, which they passed. So nothing happened. Roy Cooper made it a cornerstone of his 2016 gubernatorial campaign and has been galvanizing our legislators ever since.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to our Magazine, and enjoy exclusive fresh news 24/7